Everyone loves the feeling of refreshed, relaxed and clear mind after a good night sleep. And sleep plays a major role in hormonal health such as stress management, weight balance, and cognitive function.
Nowadays, sleep deprivation has become a very serious health condition. If you are a woman, the amount of sleep you need maybe a little bit more than needed by men. Insufficient sleep can lead to many health issues.
But why do women need more sleep than men? And more importantly, how much more sleep do women need? Throughout this post, you will get answers to all these questions.
How much sleep do women require?
A recent study recommends that a person in between 26 to 64 years needs 7-8 hours of sleep a day. But as research enclosed gender too plays a major role while determining the hours to sleep in a day. Women need more sleep than men and lack of sleep leads to consequences that create greater health issues.
Explaining why women need more sleep than men, scientists added women need 20 mins more compared to men, as their brains are wired differently and are complex. This may be the main reason for those extra minutes of sleep.
Why do women need more sleep?
As per research, women are asked to get 20 more minutes of sleep than men. To get a clear idea of why they need extra sleep, here are a few reasons to know.
Factors that affect women’s quality and quantity of sleep
- Worrying about problems
- Sleep disturbances during pregnancy
- Difficulty sleeping during menopause due to hot flashes
- Moving around on the bed for the partner and children care
- Menstrual cycle
- Restless leg syndrome
- Greater energy usage
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Anxiety and depression
Getting sufficient sleep is not only for refreshment it also keeps away from serious health issues. Not getting enough sleep causes following issues.
- Increases risk of Diabetes
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Irregular heartbeat
- Trouble with thinking and concentration
- Weakened immunity
- Weight gain
- Psychological distress
- Low sex drive
- Poor balance
Tips to get enough sleep for women
- Stick to a sleep schedule of the same bedtime and wake up time even in holidays
- Ensure your bed light is dim and dull at night
- Practice a relaxed bedtime
- Avoid small naps
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid drinking caffeine or alcohol
- Switch off electronic devices such as smartphones, TV, and iPad
- Take a glass of warm milk before bed