Blood is a kind of red liquid that circulates in the arteries and veins by offering oxygen and nutrients to all the body parts. It helps to remove the waste materials in the body through lungs, liver, and kidneys. Also, it helps in healing the wounds by fighting the infections. Whole blood donation is the most common type of blood donations.
In human body there are about 5 liters of blood with the combination of several components. So, there is no other better substitute for human blood. If someone loses blood from an accident or surgery, the body needs enough blood for right functioning. There is the only way to get blood is blood transfusion with the help of blood donors.
If you are the one who is in need of blood for patients or looking for blood banks in Bangalore. Download the iRelief app from your play store and find a right blood donor with blood. There are many blood banks in Bangalore, but iRelief is the one which brings all the blood banks in one place.
Donating the whole blood is not only the type of blood donation, there are a few other types of blood donation. Donating whole blood is the most common and traditional way of blood donation.
Types of blood donation
- Blood (Whole blood)
- Double red cells
These are four types of blood donations. The donor can donate whole blood at any time and anywhere according to requirement. However, the case of platelets and plasma is different. The donor who wishes to donate plasma or platelets must donate whole blood in the near future.
When you donate one pint of your blood, it is a single product. But, according to the need of blood for patients, it will split into three products such as red blood cells, platelets, and plasma. In this way, you can save three lives in one blood donation. Human blood has 42 days’ shelf life, and it should be transfused within 10 days of donation.
If you want to save 3 lives, you can donate your blood to any blood banks in Bangalore. If you do not know your blood group, this is the best way to find out. Remember, blood donation depends on many factors like blood type, physical condition, availability of convenience and many others.
Whole blood donation:
- This is the most common type of blood donation.
- It enables you to save up to 3 lives in one donation.
- Usually, it takes about an hour where the actual donation takes about 8-10 minutes.
- After blood connection, 11 tests are conducted to make it clear and later separated into its components.
- Whole blood donation has 42 days’ shelf life, but it is usually transfused within 7-10 days of donation.
- Donors are eligible to donate whole blood every 56 days.
Double red cells:
- Red cells are used for trauma emergencies, newborn babies, and serious anemia.
- It takes approximately 30 mins longer than whole blood donation.
- Donors need to meet higher hemoglobin and body weight while donating.
- Donors are eligible to give double red cells every 112 days.
- Platelets are collected by using an apheresis machine.
- These are vital elements for cancer and organ transplantation.
- The donation takes approximately one and a half to two and a half hours.
- For platelet donation, donor should wait at least 56 days after donating whole blood.
- Plasma is a liquid part of the blood which includes clotting factors and proteins.
- It is collected simultaneously with a platelet donation.
- The donation takes approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.
- AB blood type donors are called as universal plasma donors.